Thursday, January 10, 2008

Walk with Suz

The image to the right was taken from a doctor's website. As you can see from the image, it is a woman who has had a a bi-lateral (both sides) transtibial (below the knees) amputation. This is the situation which Suzanne is now experiencing.
This woman has chosen to wear the prosthetics which look less like actual legs and feature the support shafts. The other option would be cosmetically similar legs. Personal taste may have something to do with choices, as may insurance. I'm not sure which route we will end up taking.

Having your own knees, when learning to walk on prosthetics, is superior to above the knee amputation. Therefore, once her arm strength returns, I feel, it will be only a matter of time before she is walking again. Maybe I should plan a "Walk with Suz 5k?"

9 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick.
    I love the idea of a "walk with Suz 5k". Although, prosthetics can be amazing technical aids these days, so you might have to call it a "keep up with Suz 5k". Check out the following link if you get a chance.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=3189791
    Hugs and Loves,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    The 5k idea is perfect. Definitely go with it! Can you imagine the crowd? It would be such a nice way for us all to show the two of you our support too. I read the information you included on the prosthetics. It really is amazing how far things have come. Suzanne, I can't wait to see you lead the way in the 5k!!
    -Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a wonderful idea and I am sure you will have a lot of people to back you for the walk

    ReplyDelete
  4. You choose the 5K and I'm there! I have every confidence that, with your positive attitude, you can go the distance (and MORE), Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign us up! In fact, let us know if you need help planning the event!

    Love,
    Mark and Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat, sign us up for the five k. (how many miles is that????)
    Wishing you all the best,

    Brian & Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pratrick:
    I wish you and Suz the best. I would love to help out with the walk too. I could hand oout water or something. I keep you in my prays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be the one there with bells on! This site you've created is absolutely amazing, thank you for lettings us be a part. Hugs, love and prayers to you guys. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely in for any type of fund-raising activity, especially the "keep up with Suz walk"! I'm sending much love and prayers over the 'net to you and the fam. Take care of yourself and please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

    Much love,
    Dr. Reid

    ReplyDelete